Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

I recently found a copy of one of my old favorites at the Thrift Store. I first read this book in elementary school as assigned reading while we were studying Colonial America. I liked it so much I read it several more times while I was in school and each time I got something new from it. Rereading it again, I've been reminded how much this book influenced my worldview. The blatant xenophobia of the townspeople, the religious persecution of anyone with a different worldview, the sparks of friendship in unsuspecting places. I didn't realize it then but this book planted seeds in my head that helped create the accepting, adventuresome person I am today. Read it, let your kids read it, and then read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment