Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Returning to one of My Great Passions - Belly Dance

About five years ago, I started taking belly dance classes with a teacher I absolutely loved. During that time, I was probably in the best shape of my adult life (the aforementioned 160 happened during this time). I really enjoyed the classes and they helped me get into shape, build cardio endurance, and self esteem. Unfortunately, life got in the way and I had to move to a different state. I've taken classes in almost every location I've lived since that time but I've never found a teacher whose style was so in sync with all the elements of the dance I love (I even found one crazy stalker belly dance teacher but that's a story for another time).

But, hopefully, that's all changed. I've been taking classes for three weeks with a local teacher and I love it. Here's the first line from her website -

A passionate enthusiast of world barefoot dance forms focusing on the movements and rhythms rooted in the Middle East

"world barefoot dance forms" That makes me so excited. Once I read that line I knew I had to try her class. But wait it gets better ...


That's my teacher. Doesn't what she's doing look fun? That's what I want my belly dancing to be like. Not contorting into an uncomfortable position just to look good, not dancing to please a crowd or look sexy. Instead I want to dance joyfully and exuberantly. I want to make my body so happy my heart and mind can't help but follow.









If anyone's interested, here's a link to her website. Come take classes with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment